Saturday, March 28, 2009

March Music Madness - Elite Eight

Today, we provide all of the Elite Eight match-ups and end with the Final Four! Comments about each competition will be really short in anticipation of in depth analysis for both the Final Four and the National Championship. Tomorrow, we'll breakdown the current results from the We Listen For You reader poll (similar to earlier this week) and we'll predict the winner of their tournament. Without further ado...

(1) Animal Collective vs. (2) Lil' Wayne
Winner: (2) Lil' Wayne
The only 1 vs. 2 match-up in the four regions... it shows just how competitive both of these artists are. One of the hip-hop artists was going to make it into the Final Four, and since I can't put Kanye ahead of The Decemberists, I'm vaulting Lil' Wayne past Animal Collective. And although Animal Collective is one of the hottest bands on the indie scene right now, Lil' Wayne is the hottest act period. I don't even feel that bad about this decision.


(4) Beirut vs. (11) M.I.A.
Winner: (4) Beirut
M.I.A.'s Cinderella run comes to an end, as Beirut advances to the Final Four. Maybe it's just me, but if you don't have an accordion and/or mellophone prominently featured in your music, it's hard for me to take you seriously. So it's just me then... cool.


(1) Kanye West vs. (4) The Decemberists
Winner: (4) The Decemberists
After spending three rounds talking about how forward-thinking and consistent Kanye has been throughout his musical career, he gets taken down by a band that, for all intents and purposes, is very retro-thinking. Unless I'm not getting the "man swallowed by whale plots revenge against those who have wronged him" headlines in my RSS.


(1) TV on the Radio vs. (7) Antony and the Johnsons
Winner: (1) TV on the Radio
I've made no qualms about labeling TVOTR as the prohibitive favorites for me in this tournament, and as excellent as Antony's The Crying Light is, it just can't compete with the raw energy of Dear Science. TVOTR is looking like Louisville right now, and that's a bad sign for their competition.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, just wondering how you are feeling about comparing TVOTR to Louisville now...is this foreshadowing that an upset is imminent?

    :)

    ReplyDelete