Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.

Friday Night Lights has been renewed for not one but TWO seasons!! This is honestly the best news I've heard in 2009 as FNL is my favorite show on TV today. That may seem strange seeing that it has yet to make an appearance on GSATW (that will change soon) but honestly nothing I could ever write would do this show justice. Chronicling the small town lives of the denizens of Dillon Texas, FNL strikes the perfect balance between drama and comedy, ensemble performance and individual character portrayal, heartbreak and triumph. The writing is realistic (we'll just forget about that "I Know What You Did Last Summer" anomaly in season 2) and I challenge you to find better actors than Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton. After every episode I'm just in awe that yet again it was that good.

If you watch any television at all and you don't watch Friday Night Lights you're doing yourself a serious disservice. Lucky for you all of the episodes are available online here. Start at the beginning and don't stop until you're caught up. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll thank us later.

Note: We don't talk a lot about non-reality television on this site, because... let's be honest... reality TV is ridiculous and makes for some pretty hilarious and prone-to-critique situations. But we watch a lot of other things. The name of this blog is from "30 Rock." Between Audra and I, we watch things as disparate as "24" and "One Tree Hill." Now, I can't speak for my counterpart, but if I had to pick the greatest drama I've ever seen, it would be "The Wire." I couldn't possibly do that show justice through a short blurb, but one of the things that drew me in so completely was the intricate and beautifully written character development. I cared about each of those characters, and with VERY few exceptions, every character was both flawed and had redeeming qualities. I'm not sure I have ever felt a more visceral reaction to a movie, television show, or novel as when Omar, by all accounts a violent and terrifying drug dealer/thief, was killed. I felt like I was losing a friend. Long story short, this is how "Friday Night Lights" makes me feel. Is it as good as "The Wire?" No... but it's also restricted by network TV and the stupid shit NBC probably makes them write about to attempt to boost ratings. The relationships are genuinely human, not theatrical or uber-dramatic. So many of the characters are flawed, yet work towards something good. I'm not ashamed to admit that basically every single episode this season has had a tear-producing moment (usually involving Coach Eric Taylor), and anyone who is keeping themselves from watching this show because "it's about football" is missing out on the best entertainment currently on television. I'm so excited that NBC has decided to extend the show for 2 more years, and even if they continue to show it exclusively on DirecTV in the Fall before showing it on NBC in the Spring, I won't complain. As long as the town of Dillon remains, I'll be happy. "Clear Eyes?".... not likely....
-Matt

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the writing is great on FNL. The characters are honest and funny.

    ReplyDelete