Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Confidence Cohen"

If you can name the show and character the title quote is from you win a prize.


Tonight's episode of Glee was all about confidence - something that grows everytime I watch the show. Though there was a glaring lack of Sue Sylvester, this was another solid showing with possibly the best musical numbers thus far. I must admit I squealed a little bit when Victor Garber showed up as Mr. Schuester's dad. From Titanic to Legally Blonde to Alias the man can do no wrong in my book. The only thing that could have been better would have been if he had sung...maybe next time. Now that we are on episode 3 it's time for the writers to start bringing depth to the characters and hopefully the introduction of the parents is a step in that direction. Similarly thus far the wife has been pretty one-dimensional and hateable. Tonight gave her a bit of redeeming quality as she appreciated that performing made Will himself again. The most revealed character in this episode however was Kurt. I like how they wove in snapshots of his relationship with his father within the snappy dialogue and how he masked his pain with materialism. When he finally came out to Mercedes with that tear in his eye....wonderful.

Now on to the music. First off the Acafellas....brilliant (though I was a big fan of Testostertones as well.) I could listen to Matthew Morrison sing the phonebook but busting out 90's favorites like "Poison" and "I Wanna Sex You Up" is just unfair. The real standouts of the night for me were "Mercy" and "Bust Your Windows." Though the first was an ensemble number it once again showed the ridiculous amount of talent they incorporate in this show. The choreography and dancers were phenomenal AND I think I spotted another SYTYCD alum in Lauren from Season 3. Now I'm a big Jazmin Sullivan fan but I think maybe, just maybe Amber Riley out did her on her own song. Where this girl came from I don't know (her IMDB page doesn't even offer any clues) but if she keeps destroying songs like this I'd bet we'll see an album from her sooner rather than later.

All in all another satisfying episode. Oh and in case you were confused - Dakota Stanley was great but by no means is he any Sparky Polastri

P.S. I wish I had this line when I was teaching...
"I'm going to ask you to smell your armpits. That's the smell of failure and it's stinking up my office."

7 comments: