Thursday, April 23, 2009

What the WHAT? - American Idols Cover... Lykke Li

I don't watch American Idol... that's my reality television guru counterpart. This was supposed to be the year I gave it a shot, and it never happened. And now I'm kind of glad, because this Ford commercial (which was apparently on during the show) is infuriating. Let's start with the intro, where some bland 20-something uses the "amazing technology" of Ford vehicles to voice activate a song by "American Idols." In fact, in the 60 seconds worth of chances to mention that the song is originally by Lykke Li, the fantastic people at Ford/Fox chose to go with zero. Naturally, the adaptation of the song is about as milquetoast as everything else in the commercial, including the product. I have no problem at all with the use of the song, and I'm sure that Lykke Li was aware of the terms of use for "I'm Good, I'm Gone," but in the future, it'd be really nice to see the original artist's name at least once. American Idol... help the little people!

Lykke Li: "I'm Good, I'm Gone"


Ford/American Idol Contestants: "I'm Good, I'm Gone" Car Commercial (vomitus)


(via Stereogum)

No comments:

Post a Comment