Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What We're Listening To

No input from Audra this week, as she's off gallivanting with movie stars and Disney characters in LA. Many thanks to Mark and Sam for the majority of the tracks this week. You're getting a good mix of videos and MP3s, so enjoy!

St. Vincent: "Actor Out Of Work"
Annie Clark's newest album as St. Vincent, Actor, comes out May 5th, and between this track and the previously-linked-to "The Strangers," it should be an excellent follow up to her debut Marry Me.



White Rabbits: "Percussion Gun" and "The Plot"
These guys get two tracks because after listening to "Percussion Gun," the opening track off their forthcoming It's Frightening, I spent a lot of time this past week listening to Fort Nightly, the band's most-recent album. Spoon's Britt Daniel gets production credits on "Percussion Gun," which isn't surprising... they toured together not too long ago.




Horse Feathers: "Curs In The Weeds"
The opening track from House With No Home, fans of Ray Lamontagne will really enjoy the stripped-down folk of "Curs In The Weeds." And the video makes me want to pack it up and head for the country, never looking back.



The Love Language: "Manteo"
You're getting more Love Language because I can't get enough of them. "Manteo" is a drunken waltz with dirty, unfiltered vocals and a booze-y piano that sounds straight out of an old Western film.


The-Dream: "Love vs Hate"
Just in case you couldn't find the time to listen to the whole Love vs. Hate album from yesterday, just listen to this track. Listen to it!! I don't want to yell at you... but I will.


The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart: "This Love Is Fucking Right!"
Hints of The Cure's "Friday I'm In Love" ring through the melody, but "This Love Is Fucking Right!" is very representative of what you'll get on The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart. People are losing their proverbial shit over this band... I don't really get it, but they're fun to listen to regardless.


An Horse: "Camp Out"
Opening track of Australian duo An Horse, "Camp Out" is the first in an album full of heart-on-the-sleeves songwriting. Rearrange Beds is actually a really really good album, and I highly recommend it!


Birdman f/ Lil' Wayne: "Always Strapped"
Apparently the word "strapped" means "armed with weapons." I thought Birdman and Lil' Wayne decided to address the serious issue of baggy pants. Too bad. As usual, Wayne destroys Birdman on the track, which has to get embarrassing at some point. If I'm Birdman, why do I keep letting Lil' Wayne kill me on my own tracks? Oh yeah... because people will listen to it.


Dirty Projectors: "Stillness Is The Move"
I saved this one for last because I'm not sure how many people will actually like it. But it hasn't left my head since I heard it for the first time a week ago, and I'm beyond excited for the new Dirty Projectors album, Bitte Orca. Check it out... it's a little different.

MP3: Dirty Projectors: "Stillness Is The Move"

No comments:

Post a Comment