Tuesday, April 28, 2009

And Then There Were 5

First off, I still don't know what Jamie Foxx has to do with the Rat Pack. Trying to find some connection between In Living Color, Ray Charles and Sammy Davis Jr.......nope got nothing.

I was already in a puddle just hearing Kris would sing The Way You Look Tonight. The beginning of the performance was everything I hoped it would be - silky smooth vocals and smoldering looks. I wasn't the biggest fan of the change of tempo near the end but I agree with the judges that he nailed the technical aspects of the performance. Normally I would be upset that he was first in the lineup but I think we're at the point in the competition that it really doesn't matter anymore.

Seems like there is a trend tonight with funky tempos as Allison really slowed down her tune. The way she approached the middle bridge made the song a little disjointed. It was a good performance but certainly did not approach the version Katherine McPhee delivered in season 5.

Speaking of former Idol contestants, when they said My Funny Valentine I immediately thought of Melinda Doolittle and was scared for Matt. Strangely I agree with Randy that it was pitchy and sounds so much worse than he sounded in the mentor package. Matt truly does have a great voice but one that doesn't necessarily translate well in his performances.

The opposite can be said for Danny. He is a performer and brought it once again this week. The song really suited his voice and while he didn't try to do too much with the song the changes he did make only enhanced the vocals.

Adam once again had a great vocal. Strange that he is now my least favorite in the competition despite his superior skills. Maybe it's because I don't really consider him an amateur, maybe it's the guyliner, maybe it's the over the top falsetto. Either way regardless of what I think Adam will probably win. That is unless Miss California and her like-minded idiot friends come out in droves to vote against his unapolagetic flamboyance.

All in all Rat Pack night didn't disappoint. Every contestant picked a good song (not like there were bad ones in this bunch) and executed well. I'm putting my perfect record on the line again and am going to say that Allison will just barely edge out Matt to make it to the top 4.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed!!!!. Kris makes me swoon. Alison's voice was so good on the song - but seriously Katherine McPhee could siiiiing. I'm over Matt Girard and Danny Gokey. Danny did sound good, but to think of him being on the radio is boring. Adam is insane as usual. I think they give him special treatment on Idol. He regularly gets the money spot in the lineup as well as lots of special lighting effects. He is seriously prepped to win! Can't wait to see! Especially since it will be the end of school!!!

    ReplyDelete