Monday, February 9, 2009

My Grammy Night Awards

There was a lot of hype leading into this year's Grammys and I think that many of the performances lived up to it (See Mtopel posts).  I didn't watch the entire broadcast but here are the best and worst of what I saw.

Best Diva - Carrie Underwood owns everyone – voice, sparkly shoes, pretty much everything.

Best Juxtaposition – Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus.  I thought it was really striking to see true talent up against hype. Taylor Swift should have told Miley Cyrus to back up off her song.  Especially since Miley CANNOT sing!

Best Inspiration - Jennifer Hudson’s performance was haunting and beautiful.  I really admire her for the way she has come through this tragedy with grace and strength.

Best Nervous Mistake - JONAS BROTHERS!!!  (Excuse my inner 14 year old)  Nick may have had a little lyric snub but I still loved them with Stevie.  Joe was channeling Mick Jagger with ridiculous moves but as always I loved the styling – coordinating but each with their individual flavor.

Best Line of the Night – “We’re like the limestone of rock – a little softer but just as charming” – Chris Martin

Best Dressed Backup Dancers – loved Katy Perry’s dancers’ suits and sparkly bras – I would totally wear that to Cadaver Ball….with Carrie Underwood’s shoes.  But really there was no need for Katy Perry to perform – it brought nothing extra to the song – I’d actually rather hear it on the radio.  Not to mention the flats made her legs look …well less than svelte.

Worst Celebrity Impersonation - I know that Kanye has started many a fashion trend but the Wesley Snipes hair is NOT happening!

Best Self-Promotion – The great performance, charming acceptance speech and mesmerizing video clip makes me want to buy a Sugarland album

Best non-televised Grammy category – Best Album Notes

Best Badass - MIA is a badass all you haters who said she should have been at home let’s see what you can do when you’re 9 months pregnant.  Homegirl was rocking that crazy dress and dancing like a maniac. Love her.

3 comments:

  1. excellent! I concur. Especially on Taylor & Miley. Made Miley look like a wannabee and Taylor look as awesome as ever.

    Chris Martin is hilarious and I too caught and loved that line.

    Wasn't loving Carrie for once, but only for the outfit.

    And finally Sugarland is awesome. I own all their albums and you definitely should. Channel some Alabama and check them out ... if you're lucky (and i find a blank cd) i might make you a best of sugarland!!!! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part was how the producers couldn't figure out what to do with Dave Grohl during Paul McCartney's performance. It was like "Okay show him because he's famous...WHOA he looks weird...that's just kinda freaking me out CUT AWAY...okay is it safe to go back to him now? nope nope...too soon"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Miley vs. Taylor comment - exactly agree.

    Jonas brothers - why do they dress 15 year old boys like 20-something year old French men?

    And I Hated Kate Perry's flats. :)

    ReplyDelete