Wednesday, February 25, 2009

25 Albums, 25 Days

Many thanks to Audra for the birthday post... and yes, if you know me at all, the best gift you can give me is to pretend to think I'm funny. So, in addition to reveling in all the laughter I'll be generating today and celebrating my rental car-eligibility, I figured that sharing 25 of my favorite albums over 25 days would be a good way to honor turning 25 on the 25th. I know what you're thinking... "But Matt, all you do is give and give!" To which I'd say, "You're right! I'm probably the most amazing person you know!!" Regardless, it'll give me something to do and is a good excuse to take at least one study break every day. If you want to actually download the Album of the Day (and why the hell wouldn't you?!?), you'll have to email either me or Audra to get the link. I doubt anyone would care that I'm sharing their music with a few people, but I don't really understand the law. Besides, how could I possibly be able to remember all the things I'm not supposed to do?!? Anyway, once you have the link, all the albums will be in the same place and a new one will be added every day (only the most recent 5 will be downloadable [not a word]... don't dilly-dally!), so bookmark that bad boy, sit back, and relax. It's like Hanukkah... except like three times as long (that's what she said)!


So without further ado, let's talk a little about Delta Spirit's Ode To Sunshine. I have to thank my brother for introducing me to this San Diego band towards the end of last year (in fact, that's going to be a common theme for a lot of these albums... you can thank Mark [seen below doing a cover of The National's "Slow Show"] for most of the music in the next 25 days. And yes, I've already invested in his music career). These guys have toured with the Cold War Kids, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, and Dr. Dog... and if you've heard any of those bands, you have a good idea of what's in store: good, ol' fashioned rhythm and blues guitar with a rolling piano, well-rationed harmonica, and the emotive pipes of lead singer Matt Vasquez. You'd being doing yourself a disservice by skipping tracks, but album highlights include "Trashcan," "People, Turn Around," "Children," and "Streetwalker." They're a great listen, and since I'm going to their concert tonight, they're the perfect band to kick off "25 in 25."

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you truly are the most amazing, giving person I know!

    Don't worry--in a few short months I'll be able to give you ACTUAL advice about what you can and cannot do. And most of your actions probably fall into the latter category.

    ReplyDelete