Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Finally!!

It's the day we've all been waiting for - the first full performances of the season!

Jeanine and Phillip - Tabitha and Napolean are back with their unique brand of lyrical hip-hop. While Phillip's popping style was perfect for the routine Jeanine felt a little forced and stiff. Unlike Adam I really think she was overshadowed. Note to the cameramen - please stop with the kooky angles, I'm getting a little vertigo...thanks.

Asuka and Vitolio - Can't say that I was totally wowed by this. Broadway routines have to be infused with lots of energy and cheeseballness and I just didn't get it from either one of them.

Karla and Jonathan - The Gaga makes her SYTYCD debut! Watching Jonathan kind of reminds me of watching one of those youth ballroom competitions - and not in a good way. Everything was just a little amateurish. In fact I was so distracted by this I didn't really pay attention to Karla. Really didn't agree with the judges on this one and I think these two might be in trouble.

Randi and Evan - While I think these two danced the piece very well I wasn't the biggest fan of Tyce's choreography/music choice on this one - it was a little repetitive and never really picked up. Since that's not their fault I'll focus on the dancing - both had beautiful lines and I think the connection was good. They will definitely be a couple to watch.

Paris and Tony - Mary was spot on in saying that this won't be a memorable dance. Yes, Paris was better at hip-hop than expected. No, Tony isn't gangsta or buck (yet). Are these two in trouble? Judging on the high pitched squeals I'll say no.

Caitlin and Jason - Very entertaining number - I love Bollywood!! This technique is really difficult and they really pulled it off well. I'm really glad they threw in this style right from the beginning this season and I can't wait to see more. Jason is definitely creeping to the top of my early favorites to make the Top 4.

Jeanette and Brandon - Holy dancing show crossover Batman! Louis van Amstel from Dancing with the Stars! Brandon really showed off his strength with the challenging lifts in this piece. I really like the Foxtrot and the style brought out both of their grace.

Ashley and Kupono - WADE!!!! It was crazy and weird but at the same time overwhelmingly beautiful. Like Mary I bought it and I loved it!

Melissa and Ade - Mandy Moore always has great choreography and the dance was absolutely gorgeous. We didn't see a whole lot from these two in the auditions but if they have some versatility we could have another power couple.

Kayla and Max - Wow that was SO much better than I expected. Kayla has already shown versatility throughout and Max was totally in his comfort zone. Coming into tonight I would have put him on my at risk list but now I think he's safe.

Quote of the night - "Mary Murphy gives us an eyebrow." "I can't because of Botox!"

In trouble tonight?
This show is SO much harder to predict than Idol! Asuka and Vitolio had the weakest performance in my opinion with Paris and Tony also at risk for being in the bottom three couples. Ultimately I think that those who had little early exposure are more likely to be sent home by the judges so I wouldn't be shocked to see Karla and Jonathan eliminated.

2 comments:

  1. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! So happy!
    I agree with the above ... it was overall a good first show!! We actually did go back and rewatched three of the performances - Kayla and Max, Melissa and Ade, and Jeanine and Philip!!! I love theirs ... Philip is so awesome to watch. But we'll see how he does in other genres. Not sure if this is quite as awesome as last season, or has the pure ridiculous talent of the season before, but we'll see!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RW/RR finale gets no love? WTeffffff?

    ReplyDelete