Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Vintage Lady Gaga

You've undoubtedly seen performances like these (if not this exact video) from Stefani Germanotta, now globally known as Lady Gaga. I personally find her current attention-whoring persona grating. But I'd never claim that she can't write incredible hooks and great pop songs. I don't know anything about her personal history, and maybe there were already too many Regina Spektor-types out there, making it hard to break through. But these performances from NYU's annual talent show prove one thing: the girl is gifted. The first song, "Captivated," sounds a lot like "Poker Face," and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they're essentially the same song. "Electric Kiss" is just straight-forward power-pop. I wonder if the audience realized what they were watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment